Every Child: Two Languages
Overview of Language Immersion at All Souls
Every student at All Souls becomes fluent and literate in at least two languages, including English, by spending half of every school day in classes where only either Chinese or Spanish is used and the other half of every school day in classes where only English is used.
Immersion—What Is It?
Need for a Second Language
Benefits of Learning a Second Language
Studying a second language confers a wealth of academic, employment and cultural benefits in today's shrinking world:
For example, according to the National Education Association, second language study:
- Improves chances of college acceptance, achievement and attainment
- Enhances career opportunities
- Benefits understanding and security in community and society
- Promotes cultural awareness and competency
But did you know that learning and using multiple languages even can "make you smarter"?
According to scientists, second language study:
- Increases higher order, abstract and creative thinking
- Benefits academic progress in other subjects
- Narrows achievement gaps
- Helps students score higher on standardized tests
- Enhances a student's sense of achievement